Friday, December 07, 2007

Featured Mail Day

1986 Topps Jerry Rice PSA graded '8'rookie card [$46.00 plus $4.98 s/h on Ebay] - I'm primarily a baseball card collector by choice, but Jerry Rice is a sports legend who has done it all in the NFL. While a Rice rookie card is something every serious football collector may have in their collection already, I'm sort of bored with the ideal of buying picture cards of baseball players. I was looking for a higher profile card [of a higher profile sports figure, active or retired] to add to my personal collection.

What comparable baseball card will make a difference towards my overall collection? I may have overpaid, but it's better to have a Rice rookie card, than something like a baseball rookie card I may have always wanted [let's throw the 1998 Leaf Rookies and Stars Troy Glaus out there], but is valued way too high [for a supposed steroid/HGH buyer, even though it was found there wasn't sufficient evidence to penalize him, or Rick Ankiel or Gary Matthews Jr.] or popular first-year/rookie cards/xrc of unproven baseball prospects [that are always popular with prospectors, though it seems like every 'C' level or 'B' level prospect is someone to collect just because he has a autograph or refractor card in Bowman Chrome].

I want to be committed to picking up single cards instead of busting boxes - maybe it's just the offseason, but I seriously wonder if picking up a box of $50 baseball cards [low-end] and pulling several, random 'hits' will feel as good as this purchase, five years from now.

No comments: