Friday, August 15, 2008

Personal collecting notes

I'd like to pick up some cheap, unique oddball cards and inserts - but then can I pick up [and possibly blog about] that is still somewhat unique? Everyone else has done, the 'random stack of unique crap I found decaying in my closet' post. I want to do the same, but I feel like I've never had a surplus of unique [often discarded and after all these years, still worthless] cards.

Sampler runs - I've got an Upper Deck 'sampler set' I put together featuring a card from 1989-2008. I need to 'revamp' the Topps and Fleer/update Donruss versions of the 'sampler set' because I don't like the cards I pulled. Maybe I could do other sets i.e. modern Bowman [1989-2008?], Topps Heritage, et al.

Basic goals [?] - trying to scratch various itches?
1.) Pick up five graded rookie cards of sporting greats - 1975 Topps George Brett, 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson, 1981 Topps Joe Montana, 1983 Topps Tony Gwynn and 1984 Topps John Elway.
2.) Pick up three PSA graded vintage Angels' cards - my 1961-1980 'collection.'
3.) Pick up five or six vintage cards - ungraded, in vg-ex to ex condition, on the cheap. I'd like to make up a 'list' of 10-15 cards, but for me, it has to have some sort of theme. A 'collecting ideal' is not a theme.

Sample
1962 Topps Banks
1973 Topps Marichal


6.) Lou Gehrig jersey or worn material card - Donruss Americana?
7.) Pick up 10 relic cards - the Joe Collector in me thinks there is still some meaning here, though I have to be picky or just get them for about $2. Maybe look for ones featuring retired, Hall of Fame players and 'swatch pieces' seemingly in-line with the uniforms the players wore as active players.
8.) Pick up 10-15 refractor type parallel cards - I love shiny cards and in some cases make a base card prettier.

No comments: