Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Rambling on about vintage cards - pardon my ignorance

I'm showing of a 1973 Topps Billy Grabarkewitz, a 1964 Topps Charlie Dees and a 1967 Topps Roger Repoz - all three Angels cards included in my trade package from Dayf several days ago.

I may have had some fascination with cards before my time but maybe less superficial interest in recent years
- when I'm worrying about trying to hoard the newest cards of guys who haven't even made it to the upper levels of the minors, much less the Major Leagues [so I can eventually get them autographed].

I see collecting random vintage cards as broadening my broaden my interest in the history of the modern baseball card - as well learning about the professional baseball players from the 1950's, 1960's and through the early 1970's.

I wanted look for qualities to associate the old cards with - maybe at a card shop I go to there maybe off-grade cards available for a dollar or so, but the cards feel so dated, so anachronistic compared to the cards I'm collect for.

Maybe I'm trying to convince myself in dabbling in the vintage cards seemingly available to me - there maybe something cool having something in-hand printed at least 30, 40, 50 years ago and I'd like to get some trading card 'relics' into my collection.

I do worry the cards I may pick up are tampered with - even if they aren't in the best condition.

Ultimately, I wouldn't know where to start, but besides cards of particular players, maybe I could add - notable vintage 'funny cards,' cards of 'cult players', cards of 'minor stars' and cards that just stick out like a sore thumb or I can even add an 'old-school' element to my various collecting topics collections.

No comments: