Wednesday, December 05, 2012

My 2013 USA World Baseball Classic squad

 
I put together a roster of players I think have a good chance of making Team USA's 2013 World Baseball Classic team - while it may not be a potential dream team [no Bryce Harper, no Mike Trout, no David Price, no Stephen Strasburg or Buster Posey for example], I'm going for realistic, competent roster that can still can compete with the other WBC teams.
 
Starting pitchers (4) - I'm going on the idea that Major League Baseball teams are going to try and protect any premium pitching talents, particularly starting pitchers

Kevin Millwood
Jason Vargas
Aaron Cook
Jamie Moyer - I assume he still wants to pitch, what else is he going to be doing at 50?
 
Relievers (9) - besides Perez, Wilhelmsen and Bundy, maybe guys off the scrap heap and/or guys who have bounced around in recent years.

Chris Perez
Tom Wilhelmsen
Scott Atchison
Jeremy Accardo
Aaron Heilman
Dylan Bundy - my 'luxury item' as far as the pitching staff, he is the top pitching prospect in professional baseball.
Andrew Miller
Joe Beimel
Neal Cotts
 
Lineup (8) - I tried to build a balanced lineup with guys that can run, make some contact and hit for power.
 
CF - Will Venable - not a star but can do a little bit of everything.
SS - Danny Espinosa - has pop for a middle infielder.
LF - David Murphy - an underrated talent from the Texas Rangers.
RF - Giancarlo Stanton - my 'luxury item' as far as position players go.
1B - Billy Butler - for the WBC, he'll be my starter at first base.
C - A.J. Pierzynski - adds some swagger and general douchiness.
3B - Chris Nelson - while not a star, he became a decent regular in 2012.
2B - Kyle Seager - an emerging everyday player for the Seattle Mariners.
 
Bench (7) - some old guys for veteran presence and leadership off the pine.

Utility - Pete Kozma
Utility - Adam Kennedy
3B - Josh Bell
OF - Scott Podsesnik
OF - Mark Kotsay
C - Michael McKenry
1B - Mitch Moreland

No comments: