Friday, June 02, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 21

A card of a rookie you thought you were "investing" in.

2007 Bowman Heritage Jesus Flores #231 - I spent at least a couple of hundred dollars on a handful of autographed prospect cards [between 2006-2008] of players [Jason Heyward, Cameron Maybin, Matt LaPorta, Justin Upton, Josh Vitters] who didn't quite make the impact I'd hoped, but maybe Flores was a guy between that time period who was actually in the big leagues.

I was hoarding assorted low-end cards [maybe a handful of Bowman paper cards, a Bowman Chrome parallel and a certified autograph] - hoping Flores would turn out to be some sort of star.

After being a Rule 5 pick of the Washington Nationals from the New York Mets, I think I read somewhere in a rookie report from Baseball America - that Flores was having a solid rookie season and it really looked like like the Nationals had something in the 22-year old.

Maybe Flores' profile didn't actually scream 'hobby star' in the first place, so I don't know what I was looking for - but after the fact, various injuries really sapped his potential to be a frontline catcher.

No comments: