Wednesday, November 22, 2017

2017 Topps retail factory set pick-up

During a stop at Target, I was looking through the usual Topps factory sets on the shelves and got one with the 1997 Topps Derek Jeter reprint relic card with a pinstripe swatch - I bought a factory set last year at Walmart because it had a Mike Trout stamp card and now Topps got me again with this impulsive purchase.

I was hoping to find a reprint of Jeter's 1993 Topps card, but the 1997 Topps card has a nice image - though these factory set may be mass produced to a point where they aren't going to be hard to find, these could be something to put away because of the Jeter factor.

FWIW, I might have seen something on Twitter about the factory set cards being marked ‘complete set' on the backs to differentiate itself from the regular cards - if I wanted to pick up a complete factory set, I wouldn't want a completely different set over the cards I'd pull out out of packs.

I didn’t know if the marking was indeed something Topps had started doing, but after finding this thread on the Trading Card Database - I see, it’s just the 5-card rookie image variations that are designated and not the 700 cards from the base set.

4 comments:

Fuji said...

I saw one of these factory sets at Target today. Considered picking it up... but ended up leaving it for another collector. If it was the 1993 Topps reprint, I probably would have grabbed it.

Base Card Hero said...

There seem to be too many factory sets put out by Topps each year; Hobby (multiple variations), Retail (multiple variations), All-Star set... What ever happened to the good ole' factory sealed complete set?

Laurens said...

It's all about the money grab by Topps - it's confusing to keep track of all the configurations.

Base Card Hero said...

"It's all about the money grab by Topps - it's confusing to keep track of all the configurations."

I completely agree.