Friday, March 09, 2018

Shohei Ohtani 2018 Topps Now pickups

I added these to my collection as no brainer finds, even though it's spring training debut cards - as opposed to regular season debut cards, which should come at the end of the month, but where does the collector in me stop and grab any one of his higher end issues?

It's going to be tough seriously collecting him where the buy-in for a lousy card I'd really want [a high end rookie-year autograph or parallel] - will probably be too rich for my blood.

If he does something 'good' and it's on a Topps Now card, I might have to keep up, even if the idea of Topps Now is still something I'm not really familiar with - I can’t imagine how many Ohtani Topps Now cards will be created throughout the year, for every rookie season highlight and milestone.

I do want Ohtani to live up to the hype and have a buzz surrounding him all year long - considering his immense stuff as a pitcher, it's not going to be fun if he doesn't end up pitching well early on or suffers some sort injury that knocks him out for a prolonged period of time.

Presumably getting sporadic DH at-bats as a hitter in-between pitching starts, a slow start with the bat may leave him perpetually behind - where doubt creeps in as to whether he needs to focus on strictly pitching.

1 comment:

The Angels In Order said...

Yeah, any of his cards are gonna be really tough pulls. Those you chose are really nice.